The lake has a rich history, beginning in the 19th century when it served as a water supply for the Union Canal. It brought prosperity to the region by supporting the lumber and coal industries. It also provided recreation for residents of that time; one popular activity was Ascension Day fishing. The dam was destroyed during the flood of 1862 and later a new dam was built to support an electric generation plant operated by the East Penn Electric Company in the 1920’s and later, PP&L. In 1972 the lake was purchased by the Borough of Pine Grove. Most residents of Schuylkill County have pleasant memories of fishing, swimming, picnicking, boating, and relaxing in the serene beauty of the lake. On February 21, 2001, Schuylkill County purchased the lake with the intention of creating a county park.
On June 20, 2001 the Schuylkill County Board of Commissioners entered into an Agreement of Sale with the Borough of Pine Grove to acquire the Sweet Arrow Lake property for use as a public recreational area. This 183.47-acre site is comprised of roughly 60 acres of water and 123.47 acres land.
The Sweet Arrow Lake property is located in Washington and Pine Grove Townships, Schuylkill County. Major access routes include Sweet Arrow Lake Road along the northern border of the lake and State Route 443 which provides access to the southern portion of the site via Clubhouse Road.
The park is open to the public to enjoy the natural beauty, hiking, fishing and boating that people have enjoyed for generations. More improvements are planned for the future.
Grants have been used to improve the driveway to and parking area of the Clubhouse. A playground, additional picnic pavilions, better fishing access and north side parking is now available. A picnic pavilion and gazebo are available for free use at the Waterfall Parking lot. A hiking trail that nearly encircles the entire park is partially constructed. Fishing and boating access for everyone has been improved with an emphasis on providing for those with special needs.